Exercise Walks

In the last few days, my garden lockdown list has slowed down considerably.

After being stuck on 45 for almost a week, I had my first House Martin of the year from the house on Thursday. These birds nest on the estate each year but sadly this one didn't stick around. This takes my garden list to #46 since lockdown.

I think I might have done "too well" early on during lockdown and now there are no ticks left for me to get! New additions are definitely drying up, though Swallow, Swift and maybe Whitethroat should be on their way. I always have the chance of a Kestrel or Rook drifting over too.

But after that, it's pretty much down to surprises!

I've been going on walks for exercise most days - mostly around my town and usually without binoculars - but yesterday I finally managed to make it to the nearby lake south of my town (quite a long walk away) and got a few new additions.
I don't normally get to see Green Woodpeckers very well - but this one posed nicely

My efforts were rewarded with Wigeon, Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, my first Whitethroat of the year and best of all a reeling Grasshopper Warbler! That was certainly not a sound I expected to hear this spring - I had no idea they could be seen so close to home. This takes my lockdown list to 63.

It was nice to have my efforts rewarded with some water birds to add to the list, and the area is lovely for a walk.
It's an area of new plantation surrounding a single reasonably-sized lake - and aside from previously hosting Barn Owl, Short-Eared Owl and Hen Harrier, it wasn't really on my radar. Now that it has grown up slightly it has become a lot more productive (although it means the SEO habitat has probably disappeared).
The scrubby grassland around here has previously been good for Short-eared Owl

It just shows what can be seen near to home - I think lockdown has probably shown that to us all!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birding Trip Report: Mauritius 2019

Spurn Residential Volunteering 2021

Artificial Identification